In 1897, the Ozro Miller Post of the Grand Army of the Republic offered to give the land to the town of Shelburne for a Memorial Hall to be built, provided the Post was given space in this new building for meetings, housing for veterans, and the use of a theater for special events. The first performance in the Opera House took place on December 12th, 1898.
In addition to opera, the Hall hosted minstrel shows, variety shows, dances, celebrations, and other community events. With the advent of motion pictures, the Hall also served as a movie theater.
In 1928, Memorial Hall was almost completely destroyed by fire; but, it was rebuilt to continue as the main entertainment venue for Shelburne Falls and the nearby towns of western Franklin County. It has a seating capacity of 438.